Thursday, March 5, 2009

Vickery and Clarke Aloe Vera and Cucumber Face Tonic

Last month, I purchased the Vickery and Clarke Face Tonic which is formulated for normal to oily combination skin. Vickery and Clarke is available exclusively at CVS and is a natural, paraben free line.

Lately, I am all about mixing the high end products with the low end. I cannot use solely drugstore brands or my skin becomes aggravated, but I am always looking for quality products at the drug store. Because Vickery and Clarke is all natural, I've been slowly working their products into my rotation.



Sadly, I don't have a photo other than the miniscule thumbnail on the CVS link...but the packaging looks exactly the same in person. The Face Tonic, which is actually a facial mist or spray, comes in a 4 oz bottle. The spray mechanism works really well, despite being a drugstore brand--everytime I press the nozzle, I get an extremely even and fine mist of tonic.

This is actually my first facial spray. Face sprays are intended to prep the skin like with toner and watery emulsions. After cleansing and toning your face, you're supposed to mist them all over the skin, to ease the application of serums or moisturizers and provide additional moisture. I honestly don't think that facial sprays are a necessary step in the skincare routine. I actually didn't like using this after toning; it stings the skin if you have sensitive or combination to dry skin. I would only use this for skincare purposes if I had oily, unsensitive skin, on areas I am prone to acne, because this spray is not very soothing or moisturizing.

On the other hand, a face spray in your makeup routine is another story. As far as drugstore brands go, this tonic is great for mineral makeup, concealer, or any type of foundation in general. A lot of the time I struggle with creating a natural finish after I apply foundation or bb cream. I want my skin to look naturally flawless, as if I don't have any makeup on. The Face Tonic really helps with that. With mineral makeup, I achieve the best finish if I swirl my brush in the powder first, then mist my brush once or twice, and then buff it into my skin. With concealer or liquid foundation, I apply it first onto my face with my fingers, then mist a makeup sponge a couple times and gently go over the spots. This prevents your makeup from looking cakey, artificial, or dry. If you would like to use this for touch ups, I would still recommend you carry around a kabuki or powder brush, or a sponge, and use the same method. What's good about using this spray for your makeup is that it contains witch hazel, which is a natural astringent and will help control the oil and bacteria on your face, as well as your makeup tools. Also, since you've already plied your face with moisturizer and makeup, the spray will not sting your skin.

Sometimes, I even use this spray on my hair after curling it. I don't recommend doing this, but it is certainly a quick fix when your hair is dry or staticky!

Here are the ingredients. What I like is that V&C tells you how natural each product is right on the label. The Face Tonic is 97.5% natural.

Ingredients: Water, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Distillate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf (Aloe Vera) Extract, Camomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Zingiber Officinale (Ginger) Root Extract, Glycerin, Glycereth 26, Rosa Damasensa Flower Oil, Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Sodium Hyaluronate, Hydroxyethylcellulose, PEG-12 Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance, Chlorphensin, Sodium Benzoate.

This product isn't really a must have for me, but that will not deter me from trying the Mega Rich Eye Cream and Antioxidant Vitamin Serum next!

2 comments:

SHIZUKA said...

oo this product sounds quite good, ive got normal combination too i think.. and really love natural products but ive never heard of it in melbourne!

make up pro said...

a toner is really an unecessary step in skincare anymore with the advent of ph balanced products. they were invented in the time of mineral oil based products and revised to be an acidic ph balancer of alkaline cleansing products, due to the skin's natural preference for being in a slightly acidic state. now that most companies are balancing the ph of their products (cleansers, included) toners are losing their reason for being included in your "steps". i would skip the toner altogether and use the tonic for its intended purpose.

Followers

Labels