Sunday, March 22, 2009

Clinique Turnaround Concentrate vs. Estee Lauder Idealist




This is a post I actually meant to write awhile ago, but never got to because I was busy, and then I was lazy, haha. After my great results with Estee Lauder's Idealist, I decided to try the comparable Clinique Turnaround Concentrate Visible Skin Renewer and find out which of the two was better. Both have received awards for their ability to "turn over" dead surface skin cells and reveal more luminous, radiant skin.

The price of Clinique's Turn Around is a tad cheaper than Estee Lauder's Idealist by almost ten bucks. Both come in one ounce pump bottles, but the Clinique is $37.50, and the Estee Lauder is $46.50. However, the Estee Lauder Idealist also comes in a 3.4 ounce version ($120.00), while Clinique only comes in the one ounce bottle.

Okay, now on to the product's purpose. Clinique says that their Turnaround Concentrate is
a "high-performance cocktail of exfoliants" that generates a "multilevel, time-released renewal process." It is supposed to help your skin constantly renew itself, look "brighter, more radiant" and feel "velvety, perfected." As for usage, Turnaround Concentrate is supposed to be used twice daily, and is designed to be used in conjunction with Clinique's 3 step system. However, you can use this with any cleansing regimen, really.

After cleansing and toning, I applied the Turnaround Concentrate to my T-zone, and followed with a moisturizer. Unlike Idealist, the Turnaround Concentrate comes in a fluid formula, so it is much lighter and easier to blend. Like most Clinique products, there is no intentional perfume or scent, but it has this sterile, clinical smell. After the Concentrate goes over my skin, there is no shine or oiliness.

Now, onto the actual review...
Though there are tons of great reviews on this product on Sephora.com and Clinique.com, I did not find it helpful for my skin at all. First of all, unlike Estee Lauder's Idealist which is both an exfoliant and moisturizer, this product is only an exfoliant. Furthermore, it didn't even do a good job exfoliating. I still had enlarged and clogged pores, and it wasn't until I applied their Total Turnaround Visible Skin Renewer moisturizer on top of the Turnaround Concentrate did I get the exfoliated, mattified effect I was looking for--smaller pores, flattened comedones, less bumps, etc. By itself, the Turnaround Concentrate is quite useless, and it only works in conjunction if it is used with the other Turnaround products in Clinique's line. If you have combination skin, I suggest you skip this product altogether and just go straight for the Estee Lauder Idealist.

While I'm doing a comparison, I also want to update on my results with Idealist. Unfortunately, after using it on and off for 4-5 months, my skin has acclimated to it, and it no longer helps prevent my breakouts or reduce my comedone size. So, I am on the lookout for a new exfoliant serum that will not only keep my skin clear, but also keep it moisturized. Please let me know if you have any product recommendations!

3 comments:

fuzkittie said...

I have never tried this type of products, how interesting. So it's intended to be applied only in the required areas? My t-zone need some help right now.. haha.

MickeyClifford said...

Ever since I can remember I have had really bad Eczema and redness that follows it. I have actually taken before and after pictures and you see my face go from brick red and blotchy to normal skin tone within 3 days. On the third day, my face radiated and is very smooth to the touch. I only had a sample to begin with. The reasoning behind using with the 3 step is for an overall appearance. I helps to rejuvenate skin,, scales away dead cells, makes the skin healthier, makes it even toned and healthier. I actually found just using the 3 step using the Clinique 3 step by itself or using the Clinique Turnaround Concentrate Visible Skin Renewer by itself or together, it still worked well. Most people use the 3 step anyways because it has a soap for the shower, the Clarifying Lotion which clears away any dead cells the soap may have left behind, and the Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion which is to maintain optimal moisture balance for dry-to-combination skin types. Now you take those things and add them to Turnaround Concentrate Radiance Renewer is concentrated serum that instantly reveals healthy radiance so skin seems to glow from within and Turnaround Overnight Radiance Moisturizer which is an overnight moisturizer that tones, retexturizes, and plumps skin. I know it is 5 steps but for me to have the healthy skin I had when I was 18, it is worth it. Also you didn't mention the fact that Clinique is friendly to everyone because it is hypoallergenic. I know you mentioned the smells but, the allergy thing is #1 :) My mom has rosacea and severe dry skin and this works beautifully for her. I think all in all it depends on how many steps you want to take and how well your skin reacts to it. My mom can't use Estee because of the perfumes in them. You should get 2 friends with equal bad skin problems and do a photo journal:) See which one improves first and how long each takes.

Unknown said...

Hi Mickey, Clinique has products which are good for Eczema. I saw the list here: http://www.kallony.com.ph/brand/clinique

Followers

Labels